Raising Readers helps transforms public waiting rooms into reading rooms to encourage reading and increase access to books throughout Story County.
Each reading corner has a bookcase with a collection of approximately 40 quality books, framed literacy posters, and, where space allows, a rocking chair.
Raising Reader volunteers read to children in the McFarland Clinic Pediatrics waiting room and in the waiting areas at the Ames Mid-Iowa Community Action and WIC Clinic.
Raising Readers has created 20 public reading corners in healthcare, human services, and education sites in Story County:
- Ames Community Schools Northwood Preschool Center
- Child Serve
- Doran Clinic for Women
- Eastwood of Ames Residence
- Mary Greeley Medical Center Birthways Family Waiting Room
- Mid-Iowa Community Action Family Development
- Mid-Iowa Community Action Healthcare Services
- Mid-iowa Community Action Dental Clinic
- McFarland Obstetrics & Gynecology
- McFarland Clinc:
- East Ames Office
- Nevada Office
- North Ames Office
- West Ames Office
- Story City Office
- Story County Community Services
- Story Medical Clinics - Nevada, Maxwell, Slater, Zearing
- Schilleter & University Village Community Center
- Youth and Shelter Services Family Counseling Center
- Youth and Shelter Services Family Life Center
- Youth and Shelter Services-Children's Play Therapy Room
Raising Readers Reading Corner Tool Kit
If you would like more information about how to create a reading corner in your agency, buisness, or home, please contact us.