Youth Literacy Programs Manager
We are currently hiring a Youth Literacy Programs Manager!
Raising Readers in Story County (RRSC) is a grassroots nonprofit serving children and families in Story County with the mission to “support the language and literacy development of young children by providing books, caregiver guidance, and early childhood programs”. RRSC puts meaningful books in the hands of children, provides educational programs, educates and supports parents and caregivers, and collaborates with community partners.
The youth literacy programs manager has the primary responsibility of coordinating and implementing RRSC programs with a focus on continuous evaluation to effect an increase in meeting organizational goals. This full-time, exempt position is based in Ames, IA, reports to the executive director, and serves as a resource to the RRSC Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL PROGRAM MANAGER JOB FUNCTIONS:
Vision, Mission, and Strategic Goals
- Participates in the RRSC strategic planning process to identify organizational goals and priority outcomes.
- Manages a plan for programs that contribute to the RRSC mission and develops new programs to accomplish priority goals in collaboration with the executive director.
- Participates in a structured evaluation process of current programs.
- Responsible for research-based, developmentally appropriate language and literacy content in program design.
- Ensures programs reflect a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as components of caregiver advocacy for early literacy development.
- Performs related duties in support of the organizational mission.
- Designs, schedules, delivers, and evaluates programs.
- Maintains documentation for all programs.
- Travels as needed within the county to launch and oversee programs.
- Communicates and coordinates with staff, volunteers, and caregivers related to program implementation.
- Assists the executive director by providing input in the development of an annual program budget for board approval.
- Ensures responsiveness to program funder requirements and documentation needed by the executive director.
- Monitors grant requirements for programs including providing updates to the executive director, data collection, etc.
- Works with the executive director to recruit, hire, and orient staff and volunteers to implement programs.
- Supervises, trains, develops, evaluates, and appreciates staff and volunteers involved with programs.
Community Engagement in Programs
- Provides leadership in children’s literacy, advocacy, and implementing RRSC programs and activities in Story County.
- Builds relationships with county-wide community partners to accomplish common goals.
- Represents RRSC in community organizations and groups as assigned by the executive director.
- Collaborates with community partners who help deliver RRSC programs.
- Participates in planning community events that promote RRSC programs and visibility.
- Manages proactive communication and coordination related to upcoming programs with the executive director, program staff, volunteers, families, and partners.
- Bachelor’s degree or a relevant combination of education and experience; preference may be given for a degree in a field related to early literacy, education, child development, public health, or social science
- Experience working in the areas of early childhood literacy and development
- Experience developing, implementing, and evaluating children’s programs
- Leadership experience; superb people skills with the ability to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to fulfill an exempt, full-time schedule requiring occasional flexibility to attend evening and weekend events
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and promotional skills
- Superb organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, set priorities, meet deadlines, and respond quickly to requests for information and assistance
- Strong, demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to use data and research to drive decision making
- Proficiency with technology in a Google environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work autonomously or collaboratively as the situation demands
- Ability to tolerate ambiguity in a fast-paced, evolving environment
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS:
Speech Requirements: Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Ability to speak in a pleasant, well controlled voice to exchange information and answer questions. Ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
Vision Requirements: The minimum standard for those whose work deals largely with preparing and analyzing data and figures and the use of a computer terminal.
Hearing Requirements: Ability to listen attentively for phone calls, co-worker, and customer communication. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
Physical Activity Requirements: Predominantly sedentary work that involves sitting or standing with occasional lifting and carrying of objects up to 20 pounds. Other aspects of work require kneeling, crouching, stooping, grasping, and finger dexterity.
Working Conditions: Primarily an office environment. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. Must be able to work under stressful situations and time constraints.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Raising Readers in Story County offers a competitive compensation package. Comprehensive health benefits are included.
Salary commensurate with experience and education. Range: $46,000 - $54,000
The position could begin as soon as mid-July.
For questions, email: email@example.com
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, response to the supplemental question, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Supplemental Question: How has your passion for early literacy education made a difference in a child’s life?
Any offer of employment at Raising Readers of Story County is conditioned upon passing a pre-employment criminal background check.
Raising Readers in Story County is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
welcoming people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment.
A diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.