Summer Reading Buddies
Everybody needs a buddy!
Grade-level reading promotes lifelong success. The Summer Reading Buddies program gives students an extra boost by pairing them with a trained volunteer tutor. Your child will work one-on-one with his or her reading buddy to supplement in-school and encourage at-home reading activities. This unique program helps to prevent summer slide and prepare your child to make the next school year a success!
Raising Readers in Story County is seeking volunteer tutors to promote literacy skills this summer for students entering first through fourth grade in the fall. RRSC is inviting you to partner with us to prevent the “summer slide” and address learning loss resulting from the pandemic. Together we can create a difference for the children in our Story County communities.
Volunteer tutors must...
- be at least 14 years old.
- enjoy working with children.
- undergo a background check.
- attend a one-hour training.
- be available for a minimum of 45 minutes two times per week (90 minutes/week). Ideally, tutors will be able to work two consecutive 45-minute sessions with one child each session.
Most sessions will be held in person with the exception of our Collins Zoom program, which will be held online.
To see the various sites and time frames and to sign up for tutoring, click on this link: tinyurl.com/Be-a-Buddy.
Thank you for making a difference in a child's life!